> I don't think, though, that the commit message should advertise
> this as a performance improvement.  It should be called an intentional
> change of behaviour, now using the format string as a byte string
> like everyone else, no matter whether POSIX explicitly specifies
> it as a character string instead.

I do not agree with your position that POSIX calls this a character
string.

Pure and simply, it is a legacy char *, and any attempt to re-standardize
it from that would crash cars and other heavy equipment.

I'd like to mention in a previous email you used the term fail-closed
incorrectly.

Returning an error number and changing behaviour (truncating)
when there there potentially isn't a caller-checks isn't fail-closed.

Fail-closed implies the software crashes or terminates, so that the
bug can be inspected and fixed.

Returning an error in a newer version of a standard, when a past
standard passed data straight though?

With no way for authors to know the fallout, and requiring them to
audit all code for the broad practice of missing caller-checks?
Not realistic.

So it would be responsible to assume a check can be here.  I think
you have misread POSIX, or someone did 's/char/character/' too broadly.