On 2017-12-09 1:10 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
the default prompt works exactly because it doesn;t try to second guess
what the user wants, or what is or isn;t good for them. the mechanism
for changing the prompt is trivial.

i don;t think it makes sense to change the shells in this way.
Having seen bug reports with data from the wrong machine multiple
times in the last year, especially related to Mike's new work in vmm,
I'm sorry I have to disagree.  Some developers have even rebooted
the wrong machines.
Is there anyone who hasn't?

Not everyone has time to configure their development machines
as you suggest.
If it truly can't be fixed in /etc/profile and/or /etc/ksh.kshrc, then it should be fixed it in the code.

This change has *no impact* on the people who already take the time
to change their prompt.  It improves the lives of those who don't have
time to do so.

Yup.