On 13/12/17 10:29, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> On 13/12/17(Wed) 09:54, David Gwynne wrote:
>> im still looking at vlan performance problems, as discussed by mpi@
>> at http://www.grenadille.net/post/2017/02/13/What-happened-to-my-vlan.
>>
>> recently it occurred to me that we're making an implicit assumption
>> that having the chip handle the injection of vlan tags has zero
>> cost, and that all the loss in performance is purely a software
>> problem. to test this assumption i knocked up the diff below to
>> disable hw vlan tagging in ix(4), which was used in the tests mpi
>> and hrvoje did.
>>
>> hrvoje tested this diff for me and noted a 10% improvement in pps
>> when forwarding between vlan interfaces on ix(4). to quote hrvoje:
>>
>> without diff
>> send - receive
>> vlan - vlan = 830Kpps
>>
>> with diff
>> send - receive
>> vlan - vlan = 995Kpps
>>
>> my conclusion is that assumption that nics are fast at offloads is
>> wrong. therefore id like to put this in. unfortunately 10% doesnt
>> account for the entire loss in forwarding over vlan, but it does
>> help a bit.
>>
>> would anyone else like to test? or ok it?
>
> I don't have hardware to test but I'd like to add that in bridge(4)
> scenario hardware tagging also decrease performance.
>
> From my point of view removing this per-chip option makes the stack
> simpler, so I'm all for it.  However I'd like to hear more test reports
> on different ix(4) models.

Sorry to jump in but it looks to me that apart from different ix(4) models
this should also be checked with different CPUs as well.

I mean that with a recent fast CPU like E5-26xx it seems you get an improvement.
This might not be the case with an older CPU.
Also what happens with L2 performance (not only L3 routing).

best,