On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 18:13:16 +0000, Jiri B wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 04:55:44PM +0000, kshe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would a patch to bring back the `!' command to less(1) be accepted?  The
> > commit message for its removal explains that ^Z should be used instead,
> > but that obviously does not work if less(1) is run from something else
> > than an interactive shell, for example when reading manual pages from a
> > vi(1) instance spawned directly by `xterm -e vi' in a window manager or
> > by `neww vi' in a tmux(1) session.
>
> Why should less be able to spawn another programs? This would undermine
> all pledge work.

Because of at least `v' and `|', less(1) already is able to invoke
arbitrary programs, and accordingly needs the "proc exec" promise, so
bringing `!' back would not change anything from a security perspective
(otherwise, I would obviously not have made such a proposition).

In fact, technically, what I want to do is still currently possible:
from any less(1) instance, one may use `v' to invoke vi(1), and then use
vi(1)'s own `!' command as desired.  So the functionality of `!' is
still there; it was only made more difficult to reach for no apparent
reason.

Regards,

kshe