>On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 03:57:00PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> I think this is a silly solution, and the documentation is clear
>> enough.
>The manual page certainly is clear enough but the current error message
>is logically wrong, as there are sufficient Xs *in* `XXXXXXs' but just
>not at the end of it, call it nitpicking if you will.

Disagree.

It is logically correct according to the definition of a mktemp
template.  If you put XXXXX elsewhere it is not template material.

If the *programmer* didn't understand what a template was and screwed
it up, providing the *application user* with detailed information
isn't useful.  If the programmer is that user, the terse message is
enough to indicate "hey moron, go study"

And now, you want to come up with a 40 character snippet of text
which will inform the user of the software that the programmer
didn't follow the rules..

And let me guess, soon you'll find another fundamental concept easily
learned in the manual page, and want to sneak it into the error
message also?

Sorry, that's not how it works.  Short firm error messages
provide a strong hint that further study is needed.

Unix is a terse operating system.  It is considered a strength.