> > Since timespecs also use tv_* prefixes, a hint about the other sub-second
> > field is being lost, also, sometimes the clearing of the sub-second field
> > isn't in the same place it is missing.
>
> What do you have in mind when you say "sub-second initialization"?  The
> idea is to use time(3) when all you need is *seconds*.

These pieces of code use struct timeval or struct timespec.

Both fields should be initialized.  Otherwise someone may use
unintialized data in future revamp of the code.

Using gettimeofday() avoids that problem.  Using time() to manually set
the tv_sec field without the other field is a red flag.  It makes me
hunt for the place where the sub-second field is set to 0.

Using time() isn't solving a problem without introducing a new one.
gettimeofday() is the right function for managing struct timeval and
ensuring the structure is fully managed.  I don't understand why you
don't realize time.c properly initialized a struct timeval, then the
proper initialization is thrown away, requiring a manual initialization?

WHY.