On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 21:17:59 +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>  * if (a <= b) for (i = a; i <= b;
>    doas not make sense to me.
>    If a > b, we have i > b right away, so the loop isn't entered.
>  * a > b ||
>    does not make sense either, for the same reason:
>    The for loop itself takes care of all the required conditions,
>    and the "a > b ||" has no effect except to make auditors
>    scratch their heads.

The existing code is consistent with the other parts of diff that
select changes, deletions and insertions.  It probably makes more
sense in context.

That said, as long as the comments are preserved (as you do), I
have no objection to simplifying the loops this way.  As you say,
the "a > b ||" bit doesn't have any effect.

 - todd