On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 at 22:26:51 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> I'm hesitant to change this code.  How does Linux behave on tese
> machines?  Does it use the invisible part of the framebuffer?  Or have
> they done away with actually using the kernel framebuffer completely
> like some developers threatened a couple of years ago...

I booted a Linux USB drive and it just shows a purple/black screen
for a few seconds while the kernel loads until some text flashes for
half a second (systemd?) and then X loads.  When I switch back to
the console, it doesn't draw off the screen.  I have no idea what
it's doing under the hood to figure out the resolution for the
console.

(I'd make a joke about Linux developers hiding all of that ugly
kernel text output from users, but ironically the OpenBSD kernel
wastes about 5-8 seconds during boot just printing kernel text
through rasops.)

> Do you have a (larger) monitor connected to your laptops when this happens?

No, nothing connected.

BTW this diff is in snaps.