> The -Wshadow warning was briefly enabled, but it turned out to break vax
> builds with gcc3. Among other things, this warning helps catching stupid
> mistakes in refactoring early, so I was wondering whether we could
> re-enable it. The commit that disabled it also mentions gcc3, so I'm
> unsure whether luna88k would be affected by this.

gcc3 will warn like this:

  In file included from /usr/src/usr.bin/openssl/apps.h:117,
                   from /usr/src/usr.bin/openssl/apps.c:138:
  /usr/include/openssl/bio.h:342: warning: declaration of `write' shadows a
global declaration
  /usr/include/unistd.h:374: warning: shadowed declaration is here

This is caused by the BIO_meth_*() prototypes using formal parameters
nawed `read', `puts', etc.

Alternatively, you may choose to enable -Wshadow only if building with a
non-gcc3 toolchain.