On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:51 PM Joseph Mayer <joseph.ma...@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Previously there was a years-long thread about a 4GB (32bit) buffer
> cache constraint on AMD64, ref
> https://marc.info/?t=146824436600004&r=1&w=2 .
>
> What I gather is,
>
>  * The problematique is that on AMD64, DMA is limited to 32bit
>    addressing, I guess because unlike AMD64 arch CPU:s which all have
>    64bit DMA support, popular PCI accessories and supporting hardware
>    out there like bridges, have DMA functionality limited to 32bit
>    addressing.

My read of that thread, particularly Theo's comments, is that no one
actually demonstrated a case where lack of 64bit DMA caused any problems or
limitations.

If you have a system and use where lack of 64bit DMA creates a performance
limitation, then describe it and, *more importantly*, *why* you think the
DMA limit is involved.

Philip Guenther