On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 09:35:55AM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:00:26AM +1100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 10:02:33PM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> > > Midiplay requires a midi synth to produce sounds. We dropped support
> > > for OPL2-style chips, as we've two softsynths in ports to render
> > > midi. Both already handle .mid files, so midiplay is not very useful
> > > anymore.
> > >
> > > Objections to remove it?
> >
> > What is the alternative for hardware synths?
>
> There would be no alternative in base. But there are ports that can
> play .mid files (and much more), the smfplay utility coming with
> audio/midish is very similar to midiplay:
>
> > I used to use this to send sysex messages to reset my mt32 and play
> > midi files back when I still had a machine with a midi interface
> > (via a pci soundcard).
>
> The plan is to add a new midicat utility very soon, which can be used,
> amongst others, to send sysex files (assuming .syx file format, aka
> raw midi data).
>
> However, it's very easy to extend it to handle .mid files, so if you
> think .mid file support in base should stay, I'll do so.
>
> What do you think?

If there is something comparable in ports or base that is fine.

It has been a long time since I had everything hooked up and need
to get around to getting a usb midi adapter one day.

I think I may have just cat'd the reset to the raw midi device.
Probably looked something like the below which is indeed raw midi.

$ hexdump -C RESET.SYX
00000000  f0 41 10 16 12 7f 01 f7                           |.A......|
00000008