On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 03:00:15PM +0100, Nils Frohberg wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 03:50:48PM -0300, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> > On 25/02/19(Mon) 14:52, Nils Frohberg wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as mentioned previously, I'm looking into axen(4). While searching
> > > for the cause of a panic (fixed since, thanks mpi@) I started to
> > > rewrite parts of the driver. References were mainly the FreeBSD and
> > > Linux drivers.
> >
> > Please try to isolate parts of your diff that fixes issues and cosmetic
> > changes.  The simpler it gets the easier it is for us to review it.
>
> Sure, I'll send separate patches.
>
> (I cvs up'ed my src forder in order to test compile the individual
> patches and found out that xhci.c,v1.91 breaks my USB devices. I'll
> send a mail to bugs@ later.)
>
> > > I didn't get around to much testing/debugging lately, therefore I
> > > wanted to share the current state (diff below).
> > >
> > > The current state works a lot better than previously (for me). I
> > > used to have a huge amount of ierrs (aprrox. 1 ierr per ipkt) and
> > > often no packets would be transferred at all (or stop being transferred
> > > after some time).
> >
> > Do you know why?  What were the problems?
>
> I'm not 100% sure, since I did a lot of back and forth. It finally
> got better once I disabled EEE and lowered the watermark levels.

Have you looked at what NetBSD has done with their axen(4)? there has
been 20commits in 2019 so far[0], while some of them are possibly,
idk., useless to us(thinking about hw checksum offloading), there was
some bug fixes that did look relevant to me, but i succesfully
installed&built kernels on nfs over axen(4) a couple of weeks ago,
so the bugs it has didn't feel critical enough for me to make
a branch for them. that was on arm64/dwctwo(4), tbh. i haven't been
happy with axen(4) on amd64/{e,x}hci(4) myself in the past either. :]

I guess i'm trying to say maybe it wouldn't hurt to sync a bit before
deviating as much as atleast your whole WIP diff did. I haven't read
your separate patches yet, but i'll try to get around to also testing
those before weekend:]

-Artturi

[0] https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commits/trunk/sys/dev/usb/if_axen.c