Hi Christian,

Christian Weisgerber wrote on Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:13:27AM +0200:
> Ingo Schwarze:

>> here are serveral bugfixes and improvements for the rsync(1) manual.

> ok

Thanks for checking, committed with the following tweaks:

> I have some comments, but I think you should commit this.  Further
> tweaks can follow later.

>> Missing information:
>>  * Change the misleading argument placeholder "portnumber" to "service";
>>    even the default ("rsync") isn't a number.  In the description,
>>    mention services(5), and also mention the default.

> I don't object, but I wonder how much detail is needed.  Since time
> immemorial, ports could always be specified as a number or a service
> name ("telnet mailserver smtp").  It's only worth mentioning if
> service names are _not_ supported for some reason.  I pondered the
> issue when I added support for service names to ssh, and eventually
> decided to just leave it alone.

I agree that often, it isn't feasible to re-explain basic concepts
at every place where they are used.  But here, it is merely one
short sentence, and i see no downside in being explicit.  It may
help people who haven't been UNIX users since "time immemorial".
So i left the sentence in place.

>>  * Remove excessive verbosity from -g and -o, and improve precision:

> I find "Set the group name to match the source" incomprehensible.
> The example given in the previous text may be unelegant, but it helps
> me understand what this actually does,

Fair enough, i restored the example given that people consider it
important, adjusting the wording around it to make it fit.

I also excluded changes to EXAMPLES from the commit because deraadt@
had a concern about them, and i reworded STANDARDS because deraadt@
observed that the old wording allowed the misinterpretation that
the rsync *protocol* would be under GPL, which it is not.  No other
changes to the patch before commit.

Yours,
  Ingo