Bryan Steele wrote:
> > I just got through building a new desktop machine and thought I'd
> > install OpenBSD -current on it.  The install kernel booted quite fast,
> > but now that I have the real kernel there, it takes approximately 5
> > minutes to boot.  The vast majority of the time is spent at the very
> > beginning where the "spinning text graphic" sits there until it kicks
> > out a number and then does the next one (not sure what to call that).
>
> That sounds like the part where it's loading the kernel from the disk,
> which is using BIOS/UEFI functions. Not sure if there's much all that
> can be done about that. :)

Gets slower with every new generation, as more and more "classic" code is
pushed into emulation layers emulating other emulation layers... Or something,
who knows what computers do these days.

Gzipping the kernel may make things faster, but breaks things like karl. As
does compiling a smaller kernel. etc.

The installer kernel boots faster because:
1. it's smaller
2. it used a different loader? bios vs uefi? you may have some control over
this if you can choose the opposite of whatever you did choose.