gil...@poolp.org wrote:

> September 2, 2019 5:23 PM, "Martijn van Duren"
> <openbsd+t...@list.imperialat.at> wrote:
>
> > Gilles should probably elaborate, but the way things are now is that
> > system(3) is used to start the filters, allowing us to run any arbitrary
> > (set of) command(s) as a filter.
> >
> > Since the filters now in ports are non-interactive commands I proposed
> > to move them to /usr/local/libexec/smtpd, which gilles@ is a proponent
> > of. This however means that all filters need to be specified by a full
> > path, which is not something I would promote.
> >
> > Hence the proposition of this diff.
> >

> I don't feel comfortable adding that path to PATH, even if we're going
> to call system() right behind.

The main problem with adding it to PATH, is the transitive nature of the
environment.  If the first command being run does a system of something
else, it will be seen again.  If it runs a shell script, there it is.
Easily reachable code fragments becomes available by virtue of being at
the head of the path.  That is improper.