On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 12:15:34AM +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:19:47PM +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > With that, my initial case is no longer misleading;  alternatively, I
> > can implement the dash semantic, but that's another diff.
> Hm, that makes the default setup (no /etc/unwind.conf, empty
> unwind_flags) always print a warning, which is ugly.
I looked for other daemons and vmd(8) behaves just like that:

        # vmd -dnf/nonexistent ; echo $?
        failed to open /nonexistent: No such file or directory
        configuration OK
        0

        # mv /etc/vm.conf /etc/vm.conf.orig
        # vmd -d
        startup
        failed to open /etc/vm.conf: No such file or directory

(Silently) ignoring missing config seems fine when no explicit one is
configured, whereas `-f /nonexistent' should always fail.

Are there other daemons which such graceful default behaviour?
FWIW, bgpd properly fails hard on missing config, so does pfctl;  I've
checked those as they share most of the config file parser.