On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 10:35:56 +0000 Stuart Henderson wrote:
> We are short on partitions, there is a hard limit (14+swap), disklabel auto
> defaults already use 9, and there need to be some free for typical user use
> (ports, dest for "make release", people often want a separate /var/www and/or
> /var/log).

Oh, I wasn't thinking of single disk desktops, but multi-drive servers
(which have plenty partition letters available to slice disks with).

Here's another idea Stuart:-

The special directory /tmp/vi.recover/ is exempt from boot & daily purging.

Could a similar /tmp/sysupgrade/ default directory suit most situations?

/tmp/ is normally mounted separately from / /home/ /var/
And probably not encrypted, nor over NFS.

Cheers,
--
Craig Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7