On 2020-03-16 06:01, Renaud Allard wrote:

On 3/15/20 9:53 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2020/03/15 19:05, Renaud Allard wrote:

On 15/03/2020 17:36, Stuart Henderson wrote:
Lots of churn again.. most of the new + are related to the new rpz and
serve-stale support. I've been running it for a few days with my usual
setup with no problems, haven't tried the new things yet. Anyone want
to test?

I have had a lot of stalling issues with unbound 1.9.4 being a DoT server.
It went better with 1.9.6, but there are still stalling issues.
I am now trying your patch on 6.6-stable to see if it solves the stalling
issues.

I would be interested to know if it helps, but I don't think all that
much has changed for DoT in this release so I think it's unlikely.

Honestly I would just put dnsdist in front if you want good DoT (or DoH)
service, it is solid.

From my time limited testing of about 15 hours, I got no stall at all with 1.10.0 on any of the 3 servers tested. Down from at least 10 times in this kind of timeframe with 1.9.4 and 4-5 with 1.9.6. I think the problem is more related to tcp sessions themselves than DoT.

That's good to hear, I've had a number of issues with DoT stalling on 1.9.4 and 1.9.6. I've found having multiple entries in my forwarders section has somewhat mitigated the issue. I wonder if the stalling problem is related to this:
https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues/47