Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 09:45:45AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I don't understand the point of any of this cleanup.  The process
> > is dying and none of these things maintain external state.
> >
> > I'm going to call it what it is: stylistically stupid and rigid.
> >
> > Why?  Because it would mean every call to errx() in the program is
> > wrong because they don't attempt this, and only this one exit() call
> > needs this kind of cleanup.  That is simply not plausible.
>
> Indeed, also I noticed that ERR_remove_thread_state() was deprecated in
> OpenSSL 1.1 and so I'm kind of back to square 1 again regarding the use of
> deprecated functions.
>
> All this cleanup before exit(3) is done mostly to please runtime memory
> leak checkers.

Which suggests people aren't actually fuzzing the programs via the
errx() paths?

I don't believe it.  I don't think this was done to please a runtime
memory leak checker, I think it was done proactively as a "style choice"
in the belief it will please a runtime memory leak checker.

So it is waiting for the plane to drop the box in exactly the same
place as last time.