Hi Matthieu,

It would seem I'm a bit (too) late to this party. In short: I'm running a
high security environment leveraging the combined power of contemporary
OpenBSD and ancient i386 hardware stuffed with RAM, but untouched by all
kinds of modern BIOS/EFI/processor "management" technology. My recent
upgrade to 6.6 has crippled several machines using the Trident video
chipset, which I then found out was removed from both the 6.6 binary
distribution and the Xenocara tree. Which begs the following questions:

- Is it possible to bring the Trident-module back ?
- If not, is there any (documented) way to still get X to work on the
affected (laptop) machines using a framebuffer or other module, blacklisting
in some way the Trident module which Xorg detects as the chipset in use but
then bails out on because it is no longer there ?
- Is the removal of additional graphics modules in the future not
effectively rendering the i386 port useless for anything else than pure CLI,
router or headless systems, and, shouldn't , in that case, an explicit
warning be added to release notes/installer/sysupgrade ?

Kind regards,

Dirk

PS It would seem these are bad times for anything "Trident". I recently also
had to let go of several FreeBSD Trident (successor of PC-BSD/TrueOS) VM's
as its developers suddenly decided to ditch FreeBSD in favor of Linux.

--
Sent from:
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-dev-tech-f151936.html