On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 05:55:39PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Including numbers is good!  I feel, quite strongly, that lowercase
> vcpu isn't right.  So please use VCPU (or plural VCPUs) instead.  I
> also think that your proposal is a bit inconsistent regarding > and
> "larger than".  So:
>
> ldomctl: requested VCPUs (256) larger than available resources (64)
> ldomctl: requested memory (213674622976) larger than availableresources
> (137428467712)
I concur.

> Now that last message is a bit too long and I think those numbers look
> a bit silly, so better would be:
>
> ldomctl: requested memory (203776M) larger than available resources (131062M)
>
> I think MB is the right unit.  you could avaid a silly x > x by
> rounding the requested memory up to the nearest MB.
MB is the smallest common unit;  also, as far as I can remember the
specs, the hypervisor requires memory for domains to be somewhat aligned,
e.g., a multiple of 128M or so;  that is to say any "odd" amount of
memory is unlikely to work anyway and printing errors with MB seems the
most sanest approach.

I also mentioned to kmos that we could make the error messages more
user friendly: "resource_id larger than max_guests" might be grasped,
but "resource_id larger than max_ldcs", etc. only seem confusing unless
you know what logical domain channels are.

So these should probably say something along the lines of
"Too many domains defined, maximum is <max_guests>" or so.