Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> Hi Theo,
>
> Theo de Raadt wrote on Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:10:41PM -0600:
>
> > Yes, that diff is a whole bunch of TOCTUO.
> >
> > If this was going to be changed, it should be in the kernel.
> >
> > But I don't know if it should be changed yet, which is why I asked
> > a bunch of questions.
> >
> > Stepping back to the man page change, we could decide that accton
> > should continue to behave how it does, and this conversation started
> > because the man page fell into the trap of documenting the rc scripts
> > RATHER than documenting accton.
>
> Given that nobody seems in a rush to patch the kernel, i suggest to
> improve the accton(8) manual page for now.  In particular, that
> manual page lacks the required EXIT STATUS section, which happens
> to be a natural place for mentioning what happens if the file does
> not exist.

I guess so.

> As usual, an EXAMPLES section is not strictly required, but in this
> case, it seems useful to me, to save people from having to inspect

there are only two ways to use this command.  I don't think making
one of them an example helps anymore.  You have to be really dumb to
misuse the command.

I think this conversation came from a misguided origin.  I think the
man page documents accton correctly.

The error occurs when it tries to document rc.  But even that
text is correct, it says:

    To have accton enabled at boot time

Well if you don't reboot, it isn't enabled NOW, or it would have
said "to enable and start accounting".

I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.