On 1/27/21 7:29 AM, gil...@poolp.org wrote:
> January 27, 2021 9:47 AM, "Lauri Tirkkonen" <la...@hacktheplanet.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 27 2021 09:36:31 +0100, Eric Faurot wrote:
>>
>>> There has been a plan for some time now to make smtpd use libtls
>>> instead of openssl. Recent changes in libtls allow to move forward
>>> with this. Here is a diff to start the switch. I've tried to keep
>>> it as small as possible, sticking to the necessary changes. There is
>>> still a lot of code that can be removed but that will be done in a
>>> second time.
>>
>> I'm all for this, and sorry for screaming from the gallery, but I want to
>> ask -
>> is there a plan relating to libtls for portable OpenSMTPD? As it stands,
>> OpenSSL-based systems are largely unable to use libtls (which in itself is a
>> shame) - how would this change make it to portable?
>>

> TL;DR:
> In January 2020, I adapted OpenSMTPD to libtls for the first time and did it
> both
> for OpenBSD and portable. Since many systems didn't have LibreSSL available,
> this
> resulted in libtls being brought to the openbsd-compat layer and adapted to
> build
> with OpenSSL. The plan is to use libtls from LibreSSL if detected, otherwise
> take
> the openbsd-compat version if OpenSSL is detected.
>
> More (outdated) details here:
>
> https://poolp.org/posts/2020-01-22/january-2020-opensmtpd-work-libasr-and-libtls/
>

> As a side note:
>
> The work eric@ did on the libtls conversion was based on my diff but diverged
> and
> I will have to adapt my work from last year to make it work again. I'll take
> care
> of making it work again once his work is committed.
>
> As of today, there's no one but me working on the portable release so it
> would be
> nice if people interested in a portable release would step up to help.

Is it not possible to use libretls - https://git.causal.agency/libretls/about/

They plan to maintain such a compatibility layer of libtls with openssl with
minimal changes. It might be better to use their effort rather than adding a
burden
of both a compat libtls and opensmtpd in the portable version.
Quite a lot of distributions already have this present so this might be a good
idea to use their work.

Thoughts?

Best,
Aisha