Nelson H. F. Beebe <be...@math.utah.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, Theo.
>
> I wasn't clear in my posting about distinguishing deterministic from
> nondeterministic generators.  The former are required for reproducible
> simulations

Perhaps.  Even then they often criminally abused, ie. Neil Ferguson --
sometimes the final results become decoupled from the inputs and become
biased towards the seed/sequence.

> the latter are needed for things like cryptographic key
> generation.

I disagree.

Outside of the deterministic cases, *all* other things should be strong
random.  There should be no such thing as "weak random".  Tying this to
"for cryptographic keys" is a mistake.

Every DNS packet contains a 16-bit ID.  Should it use weak random, since
it is not cryptographic key generation?