On 2021/03/09 07:41, Greg Steuck wrote:
> This setup worked for months until recently becoming temperamental. It
> would run for a few hours:
>
> Mar  8 23:17:00 alix unbound: [40947:0] info: start of service (unbound
> 1.13.0).
>
> ... until starting to fail with:
>
> Mar  9 00:53:18 alix unbound: [40947:0] error: SERVFAIL
> <wirelessdevicestats.googleapis.com. AAAA IN>: all the configured stub or
> forward servers failed, at zone .
>
> ... which goes on for hours until I wake my desktop machine (lenny). I
> know this doesn't sound related, but I observed this multiple times and
> see no better correlation. The two machines are connected to the two
> jacks on the cable modem and see each other on the same ethernet
> network. alix serves as the DHCP server.

Is the desktop machine pointing at the alix as resolver? If so, is it
normally using UDP or TCP?

> This first started with unbound 1.11 running on 6.8-stable. I noticed
> there's persistent TLS connection support in unbound 1.13 and so I
> upgraded to a snaphost yesterday. The problem remained, suggesting
> something else is to blame.

Could you give it a spin with the update I just posted please?
I didn't spot anything that looks directly related but there are enough
changes that it's probably worth trying that first.

> I'm looking for clues about debugging unbound. I am attaching my
> minimally sanitized unbound.conf

My main suggestion would just be to bump up the logging and see if that
gives any clues.. Nothing really looks unusual in your config (maybe
it's worth reducing the number of forwarders though to see if that
makes any difference?)