On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Aisha Tammy wrote:
> Hi,
>   Here is the updated diff, which removes table_proc and adds table_procexec
> as the default backend when no backend name matches.

Hi.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I have a couple of comments:

First, if the two implementations are not going to coexists,
we can just replace table_proc.c.

Second, since the goal is to expose the protocol directly, instead of
relying on wrappers (through opensmtpd-extras api), we should take
time to refine it properly before, and avoid having to bump it every
other day.  For example, I don't see the point of adding timestamps in
the request.  Do we want to be case-sensitive on the commands?  Do we
need some kind of handshake?  Also, there can be long-term plan to use
the same process for different tables, or even for other backends.

Finally the implementation could be factorized a bit, but that's a
detail at this time. I think the close operation (is it really useful anyway?)
should use fclose() instead of kill(), and maybe wait() too?

Eric.