Thanks for the discussion. This has been very illuminating. I have been digging
around in /usr/src/ and ignoring the atomic architectures (where I got stuck) it
looks like it should be possible to use uint64_t everywhere. I'm playing with
some changes on my machine to see if I can get at least systat(1) and vmstat(8)
to work with uint64_t. The ddb printer (uvmexp_print)is another consumer.

If it works in the base system then ideally every relevant port should be
updated to be consistent. That is indeed quite a big change; more than I
realised so thanks for setting me straight on that.

Regards,
Anindya