On 2021/11/04 08:27, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> prx <p...@si3t.ch> wrote:
>
> > * Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> le [04-11-2021 14:09:39 +0000]:

> > > btw this was rejected before,
> > >
> > > https://github.com/reyk/httpd/issues/21
> > >

> > This diff doesn't compress "on the fly".
> > It's up to the webmaster to compress files **before** serving them.

In some ways it would be better if it *did* compress on the fly, as then
you don't have so much to consider with the effect on block/match rules,
whether a request is passed to a fastcgi handler, etc. (But of course
then you have CPU use issues).

Not sure if it's still actually needed, but most web servers with gzip
support usually have a way to disable it per user-agent due to problems
that have occurred.

> Does any other program work this way?
>
> Where you request one filename, and it gives you another?

Some of the webservers do, for language selection etc. Sometimes it's
useful. Fortunately there are various options for more fully featured
web servers if people need that, if I understand correctly the whole
point of httpd was that it doesn't have many features.