On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 5:28 AM наб <nabijaczlew...@nabijaczleweli.xyz>
wrote:

> This is a base-line attempt at separating errors from the child from the
> ones from script itself ‒ 125 is the general-purpose code in POSIX
> utilities that exec() (with 126 being ENOEXEC and 127 ‒ ENOENT)

I just checked the draft of the next revision of the POSIX spec and can
find no reference to 125 being either recommended or required as the status
for general exec failures.  For example, the spec for xargs includes this:

EXIT STATUS
            The following exit values shall be returned:
                 0            All invocations of utility returned exit
status zero.
                 1-125     A command line meeting the specified
requirements could
                               not be assembled, one or more of the
invocations of utility
                               returned a non-zero exit status, or some
other error occurred.
                 126        The utility specified by utility was found but
could not be invoked.
                 127        The utility specified by utility could not be
found.

I'm confident that this isn't a change from previous versions.  Where is
this proposed use of 125 documented?

Philip Guenther