Angelo writes:

> [...]

Just as an aside, in the mid-90s I hacked FreeBSD's morse(6) to
send the real thing out /dev/speaker (or whatever they called it
there).  My system monitoring tools would then send short morse code
announcements out the on-board "speaker" device.  I very much would
*not* want that sort of thing going out through the "hifi" audio
interface where I was, say, listening to music.  And that's still
true today, so I think there's a very good use case for keeping
speaker(4) around.

And this motivates me to see if I still have that patched version
of morse lying around. I should spin it up under Open, if only
because I could desperately use some code copying practice :-)

--lyndon