On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 07:03:50AM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > What is the result if root runs disklabel, and forces it to all zeros?
>
> If the root duid is all zeroes, then the only way to refer to the root
> disk is to use its /dev/{s,w}d* device name, as zero duids are ignored.

I like miod's second diff and it fixes the race for vnd(4).
I never ran into the issue with softraid(4), but that should not happen
anymore with it, either.

OK kn

> If you set a zero duid in disklabel(8), setdisklabel() in the kernel
> will compute a new, non-zero value.

Correct;  same for real sd1 and fictitious vnd0.

        # disklabel -E sd1
        Label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)

        sd1> i
        The disklabel UID is currently: c766517084e5e5ce
        duid: [] 0000000000000000

        sd1*> l
        # /dev/rsd1c:
        type: SCSI