On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:01:33AM +0300, Pavel Korovin wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thank you for the fix!
>
> I found what triggered this behaviour: it was the change in Guest OS
> Version in VM Options.
>
> I deploy VMs with sysutils/packer, some time ago I noticed that VM type in
> my templates is specified as freebsd11_64Guest, which isn't consistent with
> vmt(4), as it presents itself as "FreeBSD Pre-11 versions (32-bit)".
>
> After changing OS type to "FreeBSD Pre-11 versions (32-bit)", I've got this
> problem with tsc.
>

> The provided diff fixes it:
>
> $ sysctl -a | grep tsc
> kern.timecounter.hardware=tsc
> kern.timecounter.choice=i8254(0) acpihpet0(1000) tsc(2000)
> acpitimer0(1000)
> machdep.tscfreq=1500008129
> machdep.invarianttsc=1

I'm glad you are not seeing the issue anymore.

Just to make sure that my changes to acpihpet(4) actually caused
the problem, I have a few more questions:

1. When did you change the OS type?

2. What was the compilation date of the kernel where you first saw the
   problem?

3. If you boot an unpatched kernel does the problem manifest in
   exactly the same way?

-Scott