On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 11:06:33PM +0200, Ulf Brosziewski wrote:

Hello Ulf,

> The diff below improves the way hidmt identifies clickpads, and
> addresses the problems described in
>     https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=165296530618617&w=2
> and
>     https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=165980534415586&w=2
>
> If devices don't report a HUD_BUTTON_TYPE property, the driver checks
> whether they claim to have an external left button, and if they do,
> hidmt doesn't treat them as clickpads.
>
> I think this part of the logic should be turned around:  hidmt should
> treat everything as clickpad except if there is no "clickpad button"
> (HUP_BUTTON 1) *and* both an external left and an external right button
> (HUP BUTTON 2 and 3) are being reported.  Touchpads without the internal
> button are still usable with the clickpad configuration, it does less
> harm to err on this side.
>
> Tests and OKs would be welcome.

Thanks for doing this! This fixes the Framework touchpad and also seems like
a better heuristic than we currently have (certainly it seems better to me
than the Framework-specific quirk I added!).

I think it would be great to try this in snapshots for a little while to
check whether it causes any issues, though I'm optimistic that it will Just
Work!

Laurie