Le 04/01/2023 14:22, Stuart Henderson a écrit :
On 2023-01-04, Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
On 1/4/23 01:13, Sylvain Saboua wrote:
Hi, my openbsed (encrypted) install is functionning really
well, apart from one thing, that would signal a bug or smth:

The initial boot process, right after I type the security
key in, which displays cyphers aligning in between rotating
semicolumns (I hope this is clear), is slow, on this install.

Nope.  Totally not clear.

Sounds like the -\|/ spinner when the boot loader loads the kernel.

YES! That's it.

What platform, what hardware, dmesg.

Sent dmesg in separate previous mail.

Also...no idea what you are talking about.  First boot after
install?  every boot?  during install?

EVERY boot (ever & since install)

EXACTLY What are you seeing on the screen when it is "slow"?
And what does "slow" mean?

I see animated/rotating wheels with cyphers in between, displaying
one after the other.

The wheel rotates for a longer time than other install when it just seems
to load instantly one after the other.

(I'll upload video & send link in next message)

All good questions.

Sure

Cold boots only, or also warm boots?

BOTH cold & warm boots.

If a laptop, does it make any difference whether it's on power supply or
internal battery?

I mostly use this laptop as a desktop (I don't move or unplug it).
(draft) I'll try with the battery unplugged but I doubt it will make a difference.
EDIT: Did boot unplugged to send these emails, no difference.

Is disk access slow after the OS has booted or is it just during boot?

No, right after this process is over everything is fine.

But slow initial boot process is the main problem.

Did you try without encryption and if so, was that slow too?

I use openbsd since about 2018. Not as daily driver yet, but I've
been getting more and more minimalistic. Started with ed or now vi
also, suckless' st & surf, tmux, man ... trying to learn it all.

I've had this problem randomly depending on the installs.
The first 4 or so, unencrypted, install, used to be mostly fine.
The previous install was encrypted and fine, but I had to reinstall it
for another reason (dualbooting conflict, there is a thread here about that.

Might help to upload a video to a sharing site and post a link to it.

I'll do that. Link in next mail. Thank you

--
Sylvain Saboua
from webmail