On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 10:43:08AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Test machines are less of a problem, because they're test machines.

Sure, we're talking about two different scenarios.

> Machines where things have been enabled to debug a problem and then
> forgotten are a bigger issue.

>  I'm not convinced that something visible only on a monitor help much.
> How about security(8) though?

But surely for securelevel < 1, we need some kind of indication that
nags continuously rather than a notification that can take up to
24 hours before it's reported?

Adding:

if [ `sysctl -n kern.securelevel` -lt 1 ] ; then export PS1='!!\h\$!!'; fi

to root's .profile gives an on-going reminder that is visible on a remote,
(I.E. non-monitor), session, but then people who change their shell prompt,
will lose it, and obviously with that simple solution the notification will
stay after setting securelevel >= 1 until you log out and in again.