On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 11:55:15AM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 10:55:04AM +0200, Reyk Floeter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the following diff adds the Intel Wi-Fi 6 0x51f1 device, found in a
> > new Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 11.
> >
> > iwx0 at pci0 dev 20 function 3 "Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX211" rev 0x01, msix
> > iwx0: hw rev 0x370, fw 77.f92b5fed.0, pnvm e4a49534, address ...
> >
> > I looked at the Linux code for the values for 0x51f1 and 0x7a70:
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/1c4db7613f35b248ff05b8bfb3a4580a3d11d75c
>
> Thanks, your diff looks correct to me. ok stsp@

Cool, thanks.

> > This works fine with my 11ac setup and performance seems OK (around
> > 200Mbps - what can I expect on OpenBSD these days?).  I don't know if
> > the device supports UHB channels.
>
> This speed matches what I see in my environment, more or less.
> Apparently it goes up to 300 Mbit/s for some people, but I have never
> seen it go that far up myself.

I tested it with tcpbench again and I get 210Mbps max locally when I
stand right next to the AP.

> We are capped to 80 MHz channels at the moment. I do have a 160MHz AP now
> but would need to find spare time to make that work (as things look right
> now, me finding time for this soon is rather unlikely).
>
> And the size we advertise for aggregates on Rx in VHT capabilities is
> the smallest possible value we can advertise in 11ac (3895 octets).
> Increasing this frame size limit should result in a performance boost.
> We might have to increase the size of our Rx buffers accordingly, unless
> the hardware handles de-aggregation into a cluster of our 4k-sized Rx
> buffers, which may well be the case but I don't know for sure.
> It would not be an entirely trivial diff, but likely less coding work
> and more widely applicable than 160 MHz channel support.

I recently switched to UniFi and I regret it a bit. I remember that my
older Aruba setup was faster, even on Mac.  But maybe UniFi is doing
something differently and it's primarily a compatibility issue.

Reyk