On 2023/09/26 11:04, Eponymous Pseudonym wrote:
> There is a small window of mixed version sets at the newvers tagging
> from release to beta, likely due to the way currently mirrors are
> clearing the previous and syncing during that automatically (not
> signalled).  There will be another one from beta to release and new
> version for snaps too.

It's when the actual version number changes (73->74) and going from
7.4-beta to 7.4 for release should be fine.

(There is another problem with pkg_add etc once the version number
changes to just plain "7.4" but there's no good way around that,
the workaround is manual -Dsnap or setting PKG_PATH to explicitly
include /snapshots/ in the URL).

> At these times sysupgrade(8) picks the old sets from partial
> incompletely "deleted" version sets breaking the snapshot upgrades,
> instead of the latter correct new version ones which are a complete
> sets.
>
> This results in failure to upgrade to a valid snapshot on the mirrors,
> and users having to wait a new snapshot fanout without mixed sets and
> checksum files containing both versions (incompletely the older).

I do not agree with "be lenient on what you expect thing that
used to be popular belief. So IMHO it is better if sysupgrade fails
when the files in the ftp directory do not match its expectations.