Todd C. Miller [mill...@openbsd.org] wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:50:08 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> > Presumably 465 should be treated the same, though the hardcoded ports
> > don't feel entirely right here - this is presumably something that would
> > want adding for any connection which is allowed to relay ..
>
> Yes, I think so.  Hard-coding ports is not great but there isn't a
> way in the config file to indicate that explicitly.

The Message-ID should be added to any message that doesn't have one.
An existing Message-ID should not be removed or changed.

The RFC says it "MAY be applied when necessary by an originating SMTP server"
so the port numbers aren't a terrible idea, but it leaves open plenty
of room to not add one if someone isn't following the 465/587 scheme.

If the smtp_tx_dataline or a subset could be called when we know the
message isn't being delivered locally, that would be ideal and avoid
the need to lookup port numbers.

Chris