On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:46:09PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 01:02:02PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > >   * The TB recognizes that requiring already existing upload rights is not
> > >   * something we can enforce in this case, and that developer merits
> > >   * should be acquired while working on Kylin instead.  This should be
> > >   * reviewed in six months, until then the Foundations team has agreed to
> > >   * be formally responsible for the flavour and help out with mentoring,
> > >   * sponsoring, and release engineering.

> > So the actual quote during the meeting appears to have been:

> >  <stgraber> I guess I'll be talking with slangasek on whether he'd be
> >             happy to be a temporary flavour lead for Kylin (or have
> >             Foundations do that) until they are familiar enough with
> >             everything and have upload rights to do all that themselves

> > As he and I haven't had that conversation yet, I don't think this has
> > actually been agreed so far. :-)

> > Can you clarify what it would mean to be "formally responsible" here?
> > Speaking for Foundations we are interested in helping the UbuntuKylin team
> > get up to speed and integrated into the Ubuntu developer community so they
> > can be self-sustaining.  I'm a bit concerned that Foundations being
> > "formally responsible" for anything here could get in the way of that goal,
> > by leading people to have conversations with us that they should instead be
> > having directly with the UbuntuKylin folks.  I realize there's a
> > bootstrapping question here, and that it's hard to ramp up a new flavor if
> > you're not already an Ubuntu developer, and therefore mentorship and support
> > will be required.  But I'm keen to ensure it's understood that this *is*
> > support, not leadership - the real leaders of UbuntuKylin are people in
> > China like Jack, who have a direct understanding of the requirements.

> Right, this is more a matter of a sort of regular meta-sponsor rather
> than a leader.  The point of the UbuntuKylin flavour vs. the current
> Chinese Edition images is that UbuntuKylin is run by people with their
> feet on the ground who know what they're doing directly, rather than
> operating at one remove.

> We're working our way through https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecognizedFlavors
> here, and this is our first test of that process for the task of
> approving an entirely new flavour.  My feeling is that when we wrote the
> documentation we were envisaging something like Lubuntu that had been in
> preparation in the Ubuntu archive for several release cycles before it
> became official, rather than something like this which started only
> quite recently and whose developers don't yet have Ubuntu upload
> permissions and the like.  As a result we have a bit of a bootstrapping
> problem with clauses such as "Image has track record of community
> interested in creating, supporting and promoting its use" and "Flavor
> lead identified and responsive though 6 month cycle".

> I think what we've settled on is that, with support, we can start
> [...]

Yes, when it's worded that way that seems perfectly fine.

I had a follow-up conversation with Stéphane on IRC, where we concluded that
the next steps for getting UbuntuKylin on its feet should probably be:

 1) get the correct uploader dev team created in launchpad
 2) add ubuntu-core-dev to it as the only member (for now)
 3) ask the DMB for a packageset with this new dev team as its uploading
    group
 4) (Foundations) help the UbuntuKylin developers prepare for applying for
    PPU rights for this package set once it exists

Would this plan meet with the TB's approval?  My understanding is that steps
1-3 are technically very easy, but that Stéphane would like to have the TB's
formal approval before proceeding.

Likewise, my understanding is that we don't have approval yet from the TB to
begin building daily images of UbuntuKylin.  What further steps are
necessary before we begin doing so?

Thanks,
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org