From: techno-chat-boun...@techno-chat.net
[mailto:techno-chat-boun...@techno-chat.net] On Behalf Of Martin McCormick
Sent: 20. juli 2012 17:36
To: Techno-Chat ... Technology Enthusiasm!
Subject: Re: Braille Devices Such as NoteTakers Etc.

        I have never had such a device and there was a time when
it seemed like a very neat thing to have, but I am not sure that
Braille note takers are as necessary as they used to be, given
their rather high prices and specialized application.

        How responsive is the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard?
One could use that to take notes plus all the other things we do
with tablet computers. The advantage would be that it is
off-the-shelf technology of the level we only used to dream
about.

        Please understand that I am not at all saying that the
note takers are not useful but I am wondering if technology has
leap frogged over them. If the voiceover technology in the iPad
has the Braille support that the Macintosh voiceover does, you
could still interface with a Braille display. It is amazing to
think that we live in a time where we could buy a device in a
normal public technology store that has 90% of the technology
needed to function as a note taker for a person who is blind. If
you don't need the Braille display, it has 100% of the necessary
technology.

        When I break down and buy an iPad, it will probably be
for just such applications besides being a book reader and a
whole bunch of other things.

        This is all very individualized technology depending a
lot on what you hope to use it for and what your needs are so I
could be way off base. This is just one person's opinion.

Martin