On Jul 27, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Shreyas Pandit wrote:

The BPI (British Phonographic Industry) welcomed the findings but added a note of caution.

"It's encouraging that many illegal file-sharers are starting to use legal services," said BPI spokesman Matt Philips.

"But our concern is that file-sharers' expenditure on music overall is down, a fact borne out by study after study.

What I NEVER see discussed is the possibility that commercial music offerings, for the most part, stink, and that could be contributing to the downturn in music sales.

The unwritten assumption of the record industry is that music buyers should and will buy whatever they publish, regardless of quality.

That's an awfully big assumption.

I could write more, but it would inevitably devolve into a discussion of musical preferences and opinions (although that is kind of the point--people have preferences and opinions, and it affects their decisions about what music to buy).

As an example of how the data can be skewed, one band I like has never published a CD with a record company. They press their own CDs and sell them online and at concerts. So their sales data never gets included in industry totals. And there are lots of musicians doing this.

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President

Design Nine provides technology master planning services, community network planning, technology audits, and telecommunications project management to communities and organizations trying to make wise technology and telecommunications expenditures. Design Nine represents the interests of the organization or community, rather than the interests of vendors.

Visit the Design Nine News blog for frequently updated news and commentary on technology issues.
 http://www.designnine.com/news/

Design Nine, Inc.                        http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia
Voice: 540.951.4400
Cell:  540.320.4406

---
You are currently subscribed to telecom-cities as: archive@mail-archive.com

To set DIGEST mode and only receive one list message per day with all the daily
traffic, please visit the list website at
http://www.informationcity.org/telecom-cities