Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Paulos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: November 15, 2005 7:29:27 PM PST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Urban Atmospheres] Spring 2006 Intern Position at Intel's Urban Atmopheres *DEADLINE 1 DEC 2005*

We invite applications for our Spring 2006 Intern Position at Urban
Atmospheres

Deadline: 1 Dec 2005

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/paulos/lab/intern2006/index.htm

We are expanding the urban research focus at the Intel Research lab in
Berkeley and have an open Intern position here at the Berkeley Lab for
Spring 2006. Details below on the position. Also please visit the Urban
Atmospheres pages for a complete overview of the research project.

The position starts in early 2006. We will be making decisions by mid-Dec.

Intel Research Berkeley has an open Intern position for the Spring 2006 to explore and research several themes of Urban Computing. Interns should be adept at rapidly exploring and deconstructing typical urban landscapes, experienced in design sketching and prototyping, possess creative brain and body storming skills, proficiency with computer programming, and manifest an
unbridled passion for urban computing based research.

Responsibilities of this position:

* Programming J2ME code for several mobile phone applications (please include examples of your experience programming J2ME in you application)
    * Programming server code to handle mobile phone interactions over
socket connections
    * Assisting with ISEA Interactive City planning and coordination
    * Conducting field interviews and studies of several mobile phone
applications

We are looking for talented, qualified candidates pursing research in the
areas of HCI, user-centered design, interaction design, art practice,
design, and/or evaluation techniques and ethnography.  Applicants with
experience building physical systems, including fabricating prototypes, workshop experience, and familiarity with sensor and actuator integration with microcontrollers are strongly encouraged. The following skills are a
huge plus:

    Java/JSP
    MIDP 2.0
    J2ME particularly on mobile phones a huge plus
    XML, Javascript, etc.
    Mobile Phone Interface development
    Web Interface development
    Interaction Design experience
    Solidworks and workshop prototyping experience a bonus

Similarly, we are seeking individuals with experience conducting both
qualitative and quantitative user studies, including analysis of the
resulting data. Most importantly, we are seeking open minded, creative
individuals passionate about designing novel physical artifacts and
evaluating them in their natural setting.

All applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.

Talented, creative applicants are requested to apply. Please see web site
for application details.

-ep