The wireless network in my house went haywire. It worked on three PCs, one had 
a horrible connection, and one can’t connect. Between Hubby and me, we spent a 
lot of time researching and trying to figure out the problem. We narrowed down 
the possibilities few by doing tests. Hubby is the network king in our house 
and I learned a bit in working with him. In fact, I solved the problem… 
temporarily.
  
  I believe the wireless on the router is bad. It works fine when we hook miles 
of cable to it (I’ve tripped over them, knocked things down, and chased after a 
toddler who grabbed one.). I’m tired of looking at the cables, so we’re 
contacting the maker of this router as well as hunting for deals for a new 
wireless router with g (as in 802.11g).
  Here are some of the tricks and troubleshooting tips I’ve learned in playing 
with the router:
   
      
   
  
   Look at how many computers can connect and how many can’t. This tells you a 
story. If all of them don’t work, then the problem is most likely the router 
itself. Maybe it needs a simple hard reset. Try a soft reset first (turning it 
off and back on). If that doesn’t do it, do a hard reset following the 
instructions for your router. Mine required holding the reset button while 
turning it off and back on and not letting go until about a minute after 
turning it back on.    
  
   If no computer wirelessly connects to the network, check to see if the 
router still works by connecting to it with a cable. If it works here, you know 
the router is still alive. It doesn’t necessarily mean the wireless is dead. 
Obviously, if your router is strictly wireless and not dual like mine (cable 
and wireless), this won’t work. Instead, you can test by bypassing the router 
and plugging your LAN cable directly into the DSL/Cable modem.    
  
   Do a little pingin’. It could be the ISP is down and not a router problem. 
Open a command prompt window (Start > Run > type “cmd” > hit Enter) and type 
“ipconfig /all” and you should get a response back with your IP address, subnet 
mask, default gateway and other items. What you are looking for is the IP 
address of the “Default Gateway.” 
   
  At the command line, type “ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX” where XXX = the numbers 
listed as the Default Gateway. For example, my default gateway address is 
192.168.1.1, therefore, I would type “ping 192.168.1.1″ If you get a 
response, then your router is working. Next, try to ping a site. You don’t need 
to know the IP address. You can ping by Web address. For example, type “ping 
www.marqui.com” and you should get a response with the ping times from an IP 
address. That IP address is Marqui’s. How did your computer know this? Through 
DNS (Domain Naming Service), but that’s another topic. If you can’t ping a site 
on the Internet, the problem is most likely with your ISP.
   
      
   
  
   Have a cordless phone? Some cordless phones disconnect wireless connections 
while you’re using it. Stupid, but it happens. I have one that does just that 
and another that doesn’t mess with it. Aggravating. I wanted to return the 
phone, but it was a “no return” phone. If I had known it would mess with the 
wireless, I would have never bought it. So I learned that the next time I buy a 
phone, to check to see if it will kill the wireless or not.    
  
   Ensure configuration is correct. Check the router’s manual to complete this 
step.    
  
   Try changing the channel. If that doesn’t work, change the SSID (aka name) 
and the channel. If your wireless’ SSID is “Wireless” and is on channel 5. 
First, try changing the channel to 11 or anything other than 5. If that doesn’t 
work, then create a new SSID like “Router” and pick a channel, any channel. It 
never hurts to reboot the router after each change, although when making 
changes to it, it resets itself. This step is what got our network working 
again. 
  The process for changing it depends on your router. For mine, all I had to do 
is enter its IP address (200.200.1.1, for example) in the browser, enter the ID 
and password, and I am in. It’s similar to a software or application screen. 
Enter info, select drop-down boxes, and click buttons to change / save.
      
   
  
   Another good thing to know is to point your mouse over the wireless icon in 
the system tray. It provides basic information about your wireless connection. 
It provides information on the SSID, speed, and strength. The blacked out part 
in the image is where the SSID is located. Also, get more information by 
right-clicking on the icon and selecting “View Available Wireless Network” or 
“Open Network Connections.”    
  
   You may have WEP turned on. This secures others from using your wireless 
because it requires a password. If it’s on, verify each PC has it enabled and 
the correct password or passphrase. 
   
  This is a handful of what you can do. Other options are more detailed and 
complex. But this is a good start and will help eliminate a majority of 
possibilities.

 __________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Kirim email ke