Nothing related to this was an actual Number::Format issue, just a plug in issue.

Now bypassing the plugin completely and just calling number_format.

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Bill Ward wrote:

I'm the author of Number::Format, upon which Template::Plugin::Number::Format (written by Darren Chamberlain) is based. How can we make these modules easier to use, while not giving up their flexibility?

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Sean Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On Oct 9, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Josh Rosenbaum wrote:

> Sean Allen wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> if i do
>> 'number_format' => Number::Format->new( ... )
>> then the filter isnt defined.
>> if i do
>> 'number_format' => Template::Plugin::Number::Format->new( ... )
>> I get:
>> Can't call method "define_filter" without a package or object
>> reference at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Template/Plugin/Number/
>> Format.pm line 74.
>> so what am i doing wrong?
>
> Defining a variable won't give you the filter. Also, pointing to the
> plugin won't give you the filter either.
>
> Try using the FILTERS config option and creating a dynamic filter
> manually. You'll need to do this for each filter you want to add.
>
> Here is a possible example. It may need work, but should get you
> started:
> # Define this globally so we don't have to recreate it over and over.
> # Probably only need to do this if it's used every time.
> my $num_formatter = new Number::Format( thousands_sep => ',',
> decimal_point => '.', int_curr_symbol => '', decimal_digits => '2',
> decimal_fill => 't' );
>
> my $template_config = {
> FILTERS => {
>   'format_number' => [sub {
>     my ($context, @args) = @_;
>     return sub {
>       my $value = shift;
>       return $num_formatter->format_number($value, @args);
>     };
>   }, 1]
> }
> };
>
> my $template = Template->new($template_config);

> Hope that helps ya. Basically you can get rid of the plugin and just
> create the filters yourself.

Thanks Josh,

I had thought of doing that but somehow got this misguided idea in my
head that there must be an easier way.
Shouldn't have kept busting my head against the wall looking for an
'easier' way.