Hi Andy

> That's a possibility. In fact TT2 already supports dotted exception types
> so we could throw file.syntax and file.missing exceptions and they would
> both be caught by existing [% CATCH file %] handlers.  There would be little
> or no breakage there, while allowing the likes of you and I to have more
> specific [% CATCH file.syntax %] handlers.

Sounds good

> There's also a half-way house version of TT2/3, currently living in the
> Template::TT2 namespace.  It's not officially released on CPAN yet and it's
> a developer-version or two behind the current official TT2 (it was cloned
> last October but has lain dormant for a few months due to heavy $work),

Waddaya mean $work?? Get with the crisis, buddy! :)

> but it's there in the TT subversion repository if you or anyone else wants
> to have a play with it.

I'd love to, but, you know, $work :)

> The Changes file is a good place to start.

In there, you're recommending using Template::TT2 over Template. I
assume that to be true only once ::TT2 is brought up to speed with the
latest changes in Template.

> Template::TT2 is a 99% faithful implementation of the TT2 language, using the
> same grammar and parser engine, but re-factored and re-written to fit in
> with the Badger-based TT3 architecture.

> In particular, it cleans up this whole error handling mess.  In fact, the 1%
> incompatibility with TT2 (at the template language level) is that the parser
> throws 'parse' errors instead of 'file' errors and I know that's going to
> break templates, including some of my own.  But if I changed that to throw
> file.parse (or file.syntax) errors instead then I *think* we're back at 100%.

Even though there have been a number of commits to Template since
then?  ::TT2 probably requires bringing up to speed again, no?

Well, if this is the future, I'm going to have to get familiar with it
in order to support it for Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::TT2,
which, you may remember, delves quite deeply into the internals of
Template::Parser/Directive/Constants.

Given the constraints of work, do you have a rough timeline for
switching to ::TT2, as I'd like to get my module released in time for
that.

> I'm not sure if that'll keep all the people happy all the time, but if it
> reduces the number of people coming after me with sticks then it's a good
> start :-)

C'mon Andy. You're an open source developer.  What did you expect?
Gratitude??? :)

clint