Hey,

Is there a way to take some data that is handed to me from the DB, and scrap it
for non-utf-8 character set and do some subbing of data to make it utf-8
compliant?  Does template toolkit provide this mechanism?

My problem is, i am generating xml and that uses the UTF-8 charset declaration
and some of the data is in french/german/spanish and I am getting invalid xml
because of it. It seems that the transition INTO the db is somehow mucking up.
So I am curious if I can take that data handed to me, from the db, and massage
it into UTF-8 compliant and then write the xml (xml is generated via inline tt
file).

I don't want to get a special plugin do to time constraints so I am curious if
a user enters some non utf-8 characters into the DB and is handed to me in the
template, how can I scarp it and do subsititutions?

thanks.