I have had a suspicion that the external action can lock against itself under
load. Years ago I was using a multi instance setup and found that the servers
locked up in a way that you are describing. I went to a virtualized
configuration with one instance per virtual and the problem went away. This was
on TS 6. I also had a Witango 5.5 user complain of something similar. In that
case, adding servers solved the issue.

Other than those experiences and a hunch about the root cause being related to
the external action, I don’t have much more to go on.

One thing that I’ve done which I think helps is to write out a new batch file
for each external call. This creates two situations:

1-      Since I swap all the variable data in the file write, I don’t use
environmental variables

2-      Since I’m writing a uniquely named file, no two external calls access
the same file

Furthering my hunch, I think the problem is tied into the environmental
variables.

Since TS8 is completely rewritten in Java, and uses the Java Process system it
won’t have any problems.

Robert