It says the following on the FAQ, and it seems Ray's been saying on the bug tracker since
November that these things are fixed in 2.04, but they don't seem to be - am I missing something?

"Without libtiff, Tesseract only reads uncompressed tiff files. Even then it won't read 32 bit tiff files correctly. Will be fixed in 2.04.
With libtiff, Tesseract reads compressed tiff files, but can't handle any color: 24 or 32 bit. It can only read 1 bit binary images or 8 bit greyscale. (No color maps!) Will be fixed in 2.04"

I also saw a comment somewhere that support for formats other than tiff will be available in version 3 via leptonica, so I'm wondering what functionality leptonica support currently provides?

Thanks.