My engine uses both methods. For automated training it employs
"tesseract.exe" and other training tools. For automatic recognition it uses
Tesseract as a statically linked module called via TessBaseAPI.

Using TessBaseAPI is relatively easy, for instance (pseudocode):

Init(datapath, language, OcrEngineMode);
[ SetPageSegMode(PageSegMode); ]
[ SetVariable(name, value); ... ]
SetImage(image_bits, image_width, image_height, bits_per_pixel,
image_pitch);
[ SetRectangle(left, top, width, height); ]
( GetUTF8Text() | Recognize() | other_recognition_procedure() )
copy_result_into_your_application_structures();
End();

As for the tesseract-dev group, they state that "this group is intended for
tesseract developers to share information on updates, improvements...". For
such questions as yours the present group is suited better, I think. However
it seems to me, the dev team posts in the "-dev" group more often.

The biggest changes (in my case) were changes in the training data file
format (not much of a problem if you have source box/tiff pairs) and mostly
incompatible API (baseapi.h). Yet I can witness version 3.0x has more
elaborated API, is much more stabile and produces more expected results.

Warm regards,
Dmitry Silaev