Patrick
just a hint of how to use the orientation functionality of Tesseract
Giuseppe

-----Messaggio originale----- From: patrickq
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 7:44 PM
To: tesseract-ocr
Subject: Re: text rotated upside down or of 90°

ScanBizCards (iPhone version) is using the Tesseract 3.0 orientation
detection, works quite well - accurate in 95%+ of cases and the 5%
failure cases are oftentimes because we scan business cards where
there isn't a lot of text to go by + there is a lot of non-text
confusing the detection.

Patrick

On Feb 28, 1:35 pm, "Jimmy O'Regan" <jore...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 28 February 2011 15:17, Giuseppe Menga <me...@polito.it> wrote:

> at Politecnico di Torino we are using the release 3.0.0 of tesseract, > with
> the standard english training.
> Obviously the software doesn’t recognize pages of text rotated upside > down > and we would not expect it does, however with surprise, it recognizes > with a
> little worse performance text rotated of 90° counter clockwise, but not
> clockwise.
> How that is possible?

It's a side-effect of support for Japanese, Chinese, etc.

> We have to recognize text we don’t know in advance the orientation, and > I
> know that Leptonica should be used for page layout analysis.
> However, does tesseract offers internal facilities to recognize text
> orientation?
> And if so, how to activate these facilities or at least to return > tentative
> baselines?

There's an orientation/script detection module in the 3.01 code, but I
haven't even tried to use it, so I couldn't say.

--
<Leftmost> jimregan, that's because deep inside you, you are evil.
<Leftmost> Also not-so-deep inside you.